top of page

Self Care

Who should I see?

Use Self Care:

We all have small accidents at home or suffer from minor ailments such as coughs and colds. It’s a good idea to keep your medicine cabinet stocked up with over the counter remedies and a first aid kit. Don’t forget to keep your medicines out of the reach of children.

Your medicine cabinet should contain pain relief, antihistamines, oral rehydration salts, anti-diarrhoea tablets, indigestion treatment and sunscreen. Always follow the directions on medicine packets and information leaflets, and never exceed the stated dose.

Your first aid kit should contain bandages, plasters, a thermometer, antiseptic, eyewash solution, sterile dressings, medical tape, and tweezers.

Contact NHS 111:

111 is a 24-hour online or phone service that offers advice about what to do if you are feeling unwell. The telephone service offers confidential health advice and information 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. You can also visit their website or use their symptom checker.

Ask your pharmacist:

From sprains to stomach upsets; your local pharmacist is qualified to give expert advice without an appointment for may conditions. Very often your local pharmacist can provide advice and save you a trip to your GP surgery.

Ask your Health Visitor:

If you have a child under the age of 5 and need advice on their health or development your Health Visitor may be able to help you. Your HealthVisitors are based at Kingswood Locality Hub and can be contacted on 01454 862433

Ask your Midwife:

If you are pregnant and have any concerns and like advice your midwife may be able to help you. Your Midwife is based at Downend Clinic and can be contacted on 0117 330 2505

See a Practice Healthcare Professional:

If you have an illness that is not responding to self care or advice from your pharmacist, you can book an appointment at the surgery by clicking the link below or calling our Patient Advisors who will direct you to either our HCAs, Nurses, Minor Illness Nurses, Practice Paramedics, Clinical Pharmacist or GPs

bottom of page